Pain in the area of the shoulder can have a variety of causes, due to the complex interplay between bone, tendon, and ligament at this joint. The shoulder allows more freedom of movement than any other joint in the body. Common conditions that affect the area of the shoulder are:
- Rotator cuff tendonitis or tears – pain around the shoulder area can come from injury to this large tendon group
- Impingement Syndrome – Weakness in the muscles that stabilize the shoulder can lead to pain, especially with overhead reaching
- Biceps Tendon ruptures – biceps muscle can pull away from its attachment at the front of the shoulder
- Instability – the shoulder has many ligaments and muscles that work together in complex ways – injury or overstretching to any of them can de-stabilize the shoulder
- Dislocations – falls or blows to the shoulder area can cause dislocation of the upper arm bone, the humerus, to pull away from its “socket”
- Collarbone injuries – fractures or dislocations to the clavicle, or collarbone, can de-stabilize the shoulder
Our physicians evaluate and treat shoulder problems from sports injuries, auto accidents, falls, and progressive overuse. They can review the causes of the problem as well as the options for solutions available to you.